The Certificate III in Automotive Refinishing Technology prepares new employees or recognises and develop existing workers who paint, refinish, repair and maintain painted surfaces on a range of automotive vehicles, recreational vehicles and other vehicles in the automotive industry.
Job roles related to this qualification include:
- Vehicle body repair technician
- Vehicle body restoration technician
- Heavy vehicle body & chassis repair technician
How will I Be Assessed?
Assessment may include written, oral or practical assessment methods. You will know in advance about the type of assessment and how it will be conducted.
- Environmental and sustainability best practice in an automotive workplace
- Safe working practices in an automotive workplace
- Automotive repair instructions
- Remove paint from vehicle painted surfaces
- Mask vehicle panels and components
- Prepare vehicle spray painting equipment for use
- Basic colour matching techniques using vehicle paint codes
- Refinishing primers to vehicle surfaces
- Colour match multi-layer and clear over base two-pack paints on vehicles and components
- Match direct gloss solid paint colour on vehicles or components
- Vehicle paint faults using clear over base two-pack systems
- Prepare and paint plastic and composite vehicle surfaces
- De-nib, buff and polish vehicle painted surfaces
- Apply clear over base two-pack refinishing materials to vehicle body components
- Apply clear over base multi-layer and pearl refinishing materials to vehicle body components
- Apply water-based refinishing materials to vehicle bodies and substrates
- Resolve routine problems in an automotive workplace
- Test, charge and replace batteries and jump-start vehicles
- Prepare vehicles for customer use
- Inspect vehicle paint, trim and accessories and recommend repair procedures
- Adhesive attached components on vehicles
- Vehicle thermoplastic body panels and components
- Inspect vehicle damage and determine repair procedures
- Original equipment manufacturer repair procedures during vehicle repairs
- Touch up minor vehicle paintwork damage
- Vehicle paint drying equipment
- Air dry and polyurethane refinishing materials
- Year 10 or equivalent with sound achievement in Math’s and English and/or equivalent to (IELTS Score 5.5 or above).
- Minimum age of 18 years at time of enrolment.
- Course Duration: 65 weeks
- This course is scheduled for 20 hours per week
- Intakes: January, April, July and October
Further training pathways from this qualification include AUR40712 Certificate IV in Automotive Body Repair Technology or other relevant qualifications.